The institutional policy for the quality of UAlg is based on the sharing and commitment of the academic community with the mission and values defined in its Statutes and with the guidelines defined in its Strategic Plan, with the objective of continuous improvement of its activity. The Strategic Plan integrates objectives, strategic initiatives and respective indicators, established for each of the areas: Teaching, Research, Extension and Governance and was the object of an intense process of consultation and debate both internally and externally, with the participation of all stakeholders.
The pursuit of the objectives for quality is supervised through processes and procedures that allow monitoring and evaluation of the activities carried out, in order to ensure compliance with internal and external requirements, and simultaneously lead to the continuous improvement of the University’s performance.
INTERNAL QUALITY ASSURANCE SYSTEM (SIGQUAlg)
Institutional policy for the quality of the University of Algarve (UAlg) is closely associated with the mission and strategy of development of the institution. Therefore, the SIGQUAlg is based in essence on two documents, the Quality Manual (MQ) and the Strategic Plan, which are assisted by a third document, the Annual Plan of Activities.
The Quality Manual systematizes the information related to the quality policy and the organization of the SIGQUAlg, explaining the interconnection between the policy for quality and the mission and strategy of UAlg, the skills and relationships of government agencies under the SIGQUAlg, the procedures, regulations, norms, and other documents, as well as the forms of participation and involvement of all stakeholders in the process of continuous improvement of the activities developed in the framework of UAlg mission.
The quadrennial strategic plan establishes the guidelines for the development of UAlg and integrates for each aspect of its mission, goals, strategic initiatives and performance indicators.
The annual plan of activities integrates actions to achieve objectives and strategic initiatives set out in the strategic plan. For every action, the process of implementation, players and expected results are identified.
organic structure of UAlg and the UAlg SIGQUALG
The Quality Consultative Board (CCQ)
- To ensure that the Quality Policy as well as the Quality Assurance processes include contributions of all stakeholders (internally and externally);
- To ensure that SIGQUAlg contributes to the effective improvement of the quality of the mission of the University of Algarve;
- To ensure that the Quality Assurance processes are articulated with the strategic plan and the activity plans and respond adequately to the guidelines defined by the national and European quality assurance systems of higher education.
- Rector (who coordinates);
- Vice-Rectors and Pro-Rectors;
- Directors of Faculties and Schools and President of the Department of Biomedical Sciences;
- Chairs of the Scientific Council and of the Scientific-Technical Council;
- Chairs of the Pedagogical Council;
- Research Center Coordinators;
- Student Ombudsperson;
- President of the Students’ Association;
- Administrator of the University of Algarve;
- Administrator of the Social Services;
- Directors of the Services of the University of Algarve;
- Director of the Library;
- Coordinator of the Quality Assessment Office;
- Coordinator of the Scientific Research Support Unit;
- Representatives of public and social entities, invited by the Rector, equal or less 10% of the total number of internal members;
- Representatives of employers of UAlg graduates, invited by the Rector, equal or less 10% of the total number of internal members;
- Alumni, one from each Teaching Unit and one from the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Medicine, appointed by the respective Director of the Teaching Unit;
- One student per Teaching Unit and per Department of Biomedical Sciences and Medicine, designated by his / her peers from the Pedagogical Council.
- The Council ordinarily meets regularly once a year and extraordinarily by decision of the Rector;
- The decisions of the CCQ are set out in minutes, drawn up by the Quality Assessment Office, made available on the UAlg intranet.
Quality Assurance Committee (CGQ)
- To suggest (to the University Rector) the institutional policy and objectives for quality;
- To ensure the adequacy of the SIGQUAlg to the current legislation as well as to the standards and guidelines defined by the national and European systems for quality assurance of higher education institutions;
- To define the necessary procedures, organization, instruments and action plans for the implementing and monitoring of the SIGQUAlg;
- To monitor the implementation of the SIGQUAlg;
- To analyse the reports of self-assessment that result from the Integrated System for the Monitorization of Teaching and Learning (SIMEA) as well as the reports of self-evaluation of the other activities of the institution to be submitted to the University Rector;
- To suggest improvements to the SIGQUAlg;
- To review the Quality Manual.
- Vice-Rector for quality assurance (who coordinates);
- Directors of Faculties and Schools and President of the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Medicine (DCBM) (one for each educational subsystem, appointed by their peers from the Quality Consultative Board (CCQ);
- A Research Center Coordinator (appointed by his peers in the CCQ);
- Chairs of the Scientific Council and of the Scientific-Technical Council (one for each educational subsystem, appointed by their peers in the CCQ);
- Chairs of the Pedagogical Councils (one for each educational subsystem, appointed by their peers in the CCQ);
- Student representatives (one for each educational subsystem, appointed by their peers in the CCQ);
- Administrator of the University of the Algarve;
- Coordinator of the Quality Assessment Office.
- Quality Assurance Committee (CGQ) of the University of the Algarve meets ordinarily once per semester and extraordinarily whenever it is convened by decision of the coordinator.
- The decisions of the CGQ are set out in minutes, drawn up by the GAQ, made available on UAlg’s intranet.
The Quality Assessment Office (GAQ)
- To support technically and administratively the functioning of the services of the University of the Algarve Internal Quality Assurance System (UAlg SIGQUALG);
- To coordinate the implementation and improvement of the UAlg SIGQUALG in articulation with the various structures and organs of UAlg;
- To follow up the development and maintenance of the computer system that supports the UAlg SIGQUALG;
- To prepare assessment tools to support the management of teaching, research and knowledge transference activities and the pursuit of quality objectives;
- To collaborate in the implementation of mechanisms for regular self-assessment of the performance of the organic units, courses, services, as well as scientific and pedagogical activities that are subject to the national evaluation and accreditation system;
- To encourage, in coordination with the teaching units and services, the processes for the external evaluation / accreditation of the courses;
- To support the production of periodic reports to evaluate the quality of the University activities;
- To evaluate the impact of the institution's activities in the community, in articulation with the Studies and Planning Office;
- To perform other activities in the field of assurance and quality;
- To prepare the self-assessment reports resulting from the Integrated Monitoring System for Teaching and Learning as well as the reports of institutional self-assessment;
- To ensure the permanent updating of the indicators and of the information required by the SIGQUAlg.