The Student Union of the University of Algarve (Associação Académica da Universidade do Algarve, AAUALG) is a representative body of all the students belonging to the institution, founded on 1st October 1997.
The importance of sports and the physical balance and psychological well being of university students is a concern of the Student Union. For this reason, sports activities are under the auspices of the Student Union in close collaboration with the University and the Student Support and Welfare Services.
The Students Union Sports Department, promotes all kinds of sport activities with very low prices for students. You can choose from Salsa to Hip-hop, from Tai Chi and Yoga to Bujinkan, from Basketball to Football.
The Sports Department of the Student Union also organises water sports activities such as canoeing, windsurfing and sailing are free of charge at the Nautical Sports Centre at Faro Island (Centro Náutico da Ilha de Faro).
Competitive sports include handball, women’s futsal, women and men’s volleyball and men’s rugby. Federated teams (district championships) are active in men and women’s basketball, men’s futsal and men’s football 11.
The Student Union also organises several important and well-known events, such us:
- The Semana Académica (Student Academic Week) in May with a broad programme;
- The Sports Festival in September, in the streets of downtown Faro, with exhibitions and workshops on a variety of sports activities;
- The Snow Campus, a winter event for skiing and snowboarding;
- The Sports Exchange Programme, with national and international teams;
- The Academic University Sports Federation tournaments, such as the Open Tennis, Volleyball and Beach Rugby tournaments; the Non-Federated National University Championships;
- The University Student Union Mini-Half-Marathon.
More information at: www.aaualg.pt