Question to the International Relations and Mobility Office

The Office of International Relations and Mobility exercises its powers in the field of promotion, monitoring and operational support of cooperation and internationalization activities, in line with the strategy of the University of Algarve (UAlg).

It is also responsible for ensuring the reception and logistical support of international students, teachers and researchers who choose UAlg.

Studying at UAlg

International student is one who does not have Portuguese nationality (no. 1, Art. 2, Regulation No. 934/2019).

They are international students, nationals of a Member State of the European Union or of a Third Country, who have been admitted to take a full degree of Integrated Degree / Master (1st cycle), Master (2nd cycle) or Doctorate ( 3rd cycle) at UAlg.

  • Identification document / Passport (valid)
  • Study visa / valid resident card, if applicable
  • Health Insurance and Hospitalization valid for Portugal and for the period you stay in the UAlg
  • Proof of address in the country of origin with full name and address, preferably authenticated by the consular post
  • Academic diploma or certificate attesting to the degree prior to the admission. Attention, these documents must be certified through the Hague Apostille or when the country of origin is not a signatory to the Hague Convention, it must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Updated vaccine bulletin

They are international students, nationals of a Member State of the European Union or of a Third Country, who have been admitted to do a period of mobility during one, or two semesters, under the Erasmus + Program, Cooperation Protocols, National Programs (Almeida Garrett and Vasco da Gama) or others.

He is a student who has already spent a period of mobility at UAlg, under the Erasmus + Program and / or Cooperation Protocol and who can no longer benefit from this “status”; or you may also be a student at a university with whom there is no protocol. Thus, any student enrolled in a Higher Education Institution (HEI) can apply for free mover mobility at UAlg. For this purpose, the HEI of origin must make its appointment, by email, to Subsequently, it is informed of the procedures for submitting the application and the amount of the registration fee and associated fees.
Consult more information on the individual curricular units page.

It stands for European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (in English: European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System). The ECTS system has been designed to facilitate the movement of students between countries and the recognition of their academic qualifications and periods of study abroad.

“Cycle” refers to the level of studies as defined by the European Qualifications Framework (EQF).

  • 1st cycle (degree or equivalent) QEQ 5/6
  • 2nd cycle (master's degree or equivalent) EQF 7
  • 3rd cycle (PhD or equivalent) EQF 8

The school year usually starts in September and ends in July. The 1st semester starts in the first weeks of September and ends in January; the 2nd semester starts at the beginning of February and ends at the end of June. You should be aware that among the academic semesters there are three vacation periods: Christmas, Easter and summer (full August). However, you must always consult the academic calendar, as there may be adjustments.

In Portugal, "tuition fee" means the amount paid to attend a higher education institution.

In the case of an international student, who is a national of a non-European country, he must always present with a study visa that he must apply for at the consular post in the country of origin. For more information, we recommend consulting the Community Portal. In the case of a non-European citizen, residing in a Member State of the European Union, with a valid residence permit in that country, you should check which procedure you should use to stay in the UAlg for more than 90 days.
Consult more information on the SEF page at

The student holding a residence permit may request changes to be authorized to exercise professional activity. The exercise of professional activity must not conflict with academic activity. This request is made by appointment for SEF to issue a new card with the mention "Allows the exercise of professional activity". 

Consult more information here.

Incoming Mobility

You must pay attention to the application deadlines, necessary documents and list of subjects to which you can apply as a mobility student.

Consult all the information here.

See what procedures and documents are needed here.

If you are a student enrolled in a Portuguese University and / or Polytechnic Institute and wish to take a period of mobility to attend a semester and / or an academic year at UAlg, you can apply through the Almeida Garret and Vasco da Gama Programs, respectively.

Consult procedures here.

You can do a mobility period for study purposes where the minimum duration is three months and the maximum duration is 12 months, while mobility for internship purposes where the minimum duration is two months and the maximum duration is 12 months.

UAlg accepts applications from students under the Erasmus + Program, General Cooperation Protocols, National Mobility and Free Movers.

Once submitted, you can follow the status of the application in the UAlg mobility management program (provided after appointment).

GRIM provides a check-list with everything you need to know before, during and after starting your mobility.

You can consult here.

The Learning Agreement (LA) is a mandatory document defining the study plan, or the internship plan abroad, which must be signed before the beginning of the mobility by the three parties involved:

  • Student
  • Responsible person at the home institution
  • Responsible person at the host institution

The three parties that sign the LA undertake to comply with all the provisions included in it, thus ensuring that the period of studies, or internship, carried out abroad is properly recognized without any additional requirements.

The "changes" to the LA are the changes of subjects that the student is in the study plan originally approved and that may occur during the period of mobility. The student may request these changes, within two weeks after the beginning of each semester, and must be approved by the three parties:

  • Student
  • Responsible person at the home institution
  • Responsible person at the host institution

It is an essential document in the student file issued at the end of the mobility period by the host institution which, subsequently, it sends to the home institution. It is based on this document that the academic results obtained by the student during the mobility period are recognized.

It is a mandatory document that proves the student's attendance during the mobility period (beginning and end) that must be signed, and stamped, by the host institution (UAlg).

It is a document that some HEIs use and that must be signed by the host institution (UAlg), at the time the student arrives and at the time he leaves.


During the first three months of the stay, the citizen is not required to register to obtain a document attesting his right to stay, but he can do so voluntarily at the City Council of his area of residence.
Consult more information on the page of the High Commissioner for Migration.

It is a security service integrated with the Ministry of Internal Administration (MAI) whose mission is to ensure the control of foreign citizens, manage travel and identification documents and proceed with the instruction of residence permit and visa extension processes.
See more information at

You should proceed to the scheduling through online booking, through

The TIN is also known as the Taxpayer Number and this document identifies a taxpayer entity in Portugal. You may need to have this number for various purposes, for example: opening a bank account; conclusion of an internet or telephone contract, etc.). To access this document, you must apply to the Finance Service, closest to your area of residence.
Consult more information at

Any foreign citizen in Portugal to open a bank account must present the TIN and proof of address. As a student at UAlg to open a bank account in Faro, you need to be enrolled in UAlg (proof of enrollment) and have a fixed address to access the benefits of the university account modality.
For that purpose, we recommend that you go to a Caixa Geral de Depósitos (CGD) counter with all the documents listed in the checklist. CGD offers exemption from fees to university students, however, students over the age of 25 years, must check the conditions and fees. For more information, please see However, there are other banks in Portugal where you can open a bank account.

Necessary documentation

  • Identification document / Passport / Residence permit (if applicable)
  • TIN
  • Proof of registration
  • Proof of residence (this may be proof of residence in the country of origin, however, if you are a European citizen, the document must be in Portuguese, English, French, Italian or Spanish. In the case of a non-European citizen, the document must be translated into Portuguese or English, and it is highly recommended that it be authenticated by the Consulate)

The currency used in Portugal is the Euro (€) and if you need to make a change of money you can go to a bank or exchange offices

We recommend that for the first few days in Faro, and while looking for accommodation, you can make a reservation. For this purpose, you can do it in a hotel, hostel or Youth Hostel

All admitted students must present health insurance, which may be PTBR-13 (formerly PB4), or European Health Insurance Card, or personal insurance.

In the case of a Full Student : you must request the user number and for that purpose you must go to the nearest Health Center, with identification documents to register with the SNS (National Health System). Through this number of users, you can take advantage of user fees if you need to go to a public hospital and / or health center for assistance.

Living at UAlg

Yes. The Social Action Services (SAS) provide 9 university residences, with 558 beds for undergraduate and master students. Priority is given to national students with social action scholarships, which are mandatory by law, so places for international students are always a little more limited. The university residences are located in Faro, Gambelas and Portimão and are organized in apartments and residential buildings. Housing in the residences is not free, subject to the payment of a monthly amount fixed annually and all students must obey, mandatorily, the regulation of university residences under penalty of expulsion.

There are two university canteens at UAlg (Gambelas and Penha), as well as canteen bars (learn more here ). University canteens serve lunch and dinner from Monday to Friday, and on Saturday, only the Penha canteen serves lunch. You can access the weekly menus here.
Microwaves are also available in some places on campuses for students who prefer to bring food from home and need to heat it up.

Yes. UAlg embraced the Eco Bike project, which, upon payment of a deposit, provides free and temporary use bicycles whose main objective is to promote physical activity and sports habits, encouraging forms of sustainable mobility.

Yes. Medical assistance is available to all students enrolled in the UAlg in various areas of medical intervention: general practice, nursing, psychology and nutritional counseling, upon payment of 1 Euro and prior appointment. In parallel, the University has contractual agreements in the areas of dental care, physiotherapy and chiropody.
See more information here.

UAlg has three campuses: Penha, Gambelas and Portimão.
See the campuses map here.

Yes, on campuses you can study in the study rooms that exist in the libraries. For example, at the Gambelas Campus there are 368 places and 26 study offices and at the Penha Campus there are 163 places and 8 study offices. These spaces have computers available to students. 
There is also, at Campus da Penha, a 24-hour study room for students who need to stay studying until later.

There is a library on each campus and in order to order books you must register. For this purpose, you must be enrolled (have a student number) and go to a library desk presenting your student ID and card.

Check the UAlg library page here.

Yes. The Sports Office organizes an annual program of activities called “Faz Esporte” for the entire academic community.
Consult all available activities here.

Yes. UAlg has the Academic Association of the University of Algarve (AAUAlg) composed of several Student Groups (organizational structures that represent students). There are also specific organizations for international students, such as the Erasmus Student Network (ESN), and the Nucleus of Brazilian Students (BRAAUAlg) that will be able to support you throughout your integration process at the university and in the city.

Yes. There is Volunteer V + which is a working group that involves students, teachers, staff and researchers from UAlg who organize voluntary activities to help the community.

UAlg offers support to the adaptation of the displaced student through the “Interculturality and Mindfulness Program” which aims to promote adaptation and foster a positive intercultural attitude, stimulate the skills of Full Attention, develop communication skills and facilitate the expansion of the network of social support. This type of program exists in face-to-face and online format.
More information:


There are several ways to get to Faro. The excellent location of UAlg, located about 3:30 am by plane from the main European destinations, about 2:30 am from Lisbon, via the A2 and less than an hour from Andalusia, via the A22, you can reach Faro via several routes: by air , road, rail and sea.
Consult more information at

According to Law No. 22-A / 2007 (art. 34), the application for temporary admission in Portugal (studies, internships, research, etc.) must be submitted to the General Directorate of Customs and Special Taxes on Consumption (Customs in the area of residence of the interested party), via the Finance Portal or face-to-face service (scheduling by phone).

Necessary documents
• Identification document
Tax Identification Number
• Vehicle documents (with make, model and registration number)
• University statement mentioning the type of link and the appropriate duration
• Document proving address in the country of origin (official)
• Fill out your own form

If the vehicle is not in its own name, there are other documents that must be presented (for example: certificate of residence of the vehicle owner; passport / identification document; declaration authorizing the use of the vehicle, etc.), pay attention to this and always confirm with the competent authorities.
See more information here.

There are buses from the “Near” company that provide transportation within the city of Faro, and during classes from Monday to Friday. However, attention to weekends and holidays, circulation is reduced. To go to Gambelas, the buses used are numbers 18 and 19. Please always check schedules and routes, as they may change. If you use the bus regularly, we recommend that you purchase the monthly “Next” pass that gives you discounts, or alternatively that you purchase a prepaid pass. For more information, please consult the tariff.

Yes, there are some benefits offered by CP Portugal: 25% discount on youth ticket, promo ticket - advance purchase, discount on EYC youth card. To find out about all the advantages and how to join, see
In addition, there is the Knowledge Train : an initiative promoted by the Government of Portugal for students of higher education who are enrolled in the first year in any (a) Technical Higher Professional Course, Degree or Integrated Master and who have at least 36 ECTS . The Knowledge Train gives students a unique opportunity to travel for seven days, free of charge, through Portugal, benefiting from discounts at Youth Hostels managed by Movijovem.

You can travel in national territory by Rede Expressos and Transportes EVA buses. There are also trains through the company Comboios Portugal (CP) that ensures national routes. In addition, there is the Faro Airport.


International Relations and Mobility Office

Gambelas Campus, building 5

Telephone: +351 289 800 003