Intellectual Property, understood in a broad sense, encompasses two distinct legal institutes: Industrial Property and Copyright and Related Rights, in short, comprises all the results of the human spirit and protects the rights inherent to creations and inventions.
This area is of particular interest to the University of Algarve, as part of its global strategy, which aims to value scientific knowledge and creative effort generated at the university and in the region.
For the pursuit of this mission, there is integrated in CRIA - Division of Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer of the University of Algarve, the GAPI - Office for the Support of the Promotion of Industrial Property that belongs to a national network, created around the National Institute of Industrial Property (INPI).
The Support Office for the Promotion of Industrial Property at the University of Algarve is dedicated to providing support regarding the registration of industrial property rights and to promote actions aimed at promoting Intellectual Property, aiming at strengthening the competitiveness of companies, the adoption of innovations and the protection of knowledge generated at the University of the Algarve and in companies in the region.
Support to companies, research centers and other entities through the following actions:
- Sensitization and information on Industrial Property, within the scope of the various sectors and areas of activity;
- Clarification on rules, costs and other elements related to Industrial Property;
- Information on the legal status of rights;
- Screening and validation of proposals for trademarks and patents.
Advising and monitoring:
- Patents and Utility Models;
- Industrial Models and Designs;
- Brands, Logos and Rewards;
- Other Industrial and Intellectual Property titles;
- Confidentiality Agreements and legal instruments related to said IPR.