UAlg + Sustainable and Healthy
The well-being of society, the protection of the environment and the fight against global changes that threaten life on earth are part of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals that cover several interconnected areas, such as the fight against poverty, equitable access to education and quality health services, the creation of decent jobs, energy and environmental sustainability, conservation and management of water and ocean quality.
Given the relevant role that higher education institutions play in society, they should contribute to the achievement of such goals, through teaching, research and the transfer of knowledge, making the necessary efforts for the development and implementation of policies that may contribute to a healthier life.
In due course, through Orders RT. 66/2018 and 81/2020, two working groups were respectively created: Working Group UAlg+ Saudável (Healthier UAlg+) and Working Group for Sustainability, thus affirming the University of Algarve as a promoter of healthier and sustainable lifestyles, economic development, social well-being and environmental preservation, through the creation and dissemination of knowledge and action to promote its sustainable development and that of society.
Considering that the aforementioned working groups develop their attributions in areas that interlock and complement each other, it is appropriate, as a way to ensure the efficiency, effectiveness and economy of the work, to proceed to their merger.
To this end, the UAlg+ Sustainable and Healthy UAlg+ Council is created to replace the aforementioned working groups and is assigned the duties, composition and modus operandi listed below.
- To promote a diagnosis of UAlg's positioning in relation to sustainability requirements
- Drawing up the proposal for the UAlg's Agenda for Sustainability
- Promoting the implementation of the Agenda and monitoring its execution and impact
- Produce an annual sustainability report for the University
- Promote initiatives in the areas of physical activity, nutrition, leisure, environment and accessibility
- Contribute to organizational health, to the prevention of psychosocial risks and to the development of healthier workplaces at UAlg
- To contribute to the development of healthier lifestyles for students and the generality of UAlg's workers