The shared use of the sea and coastal zones for diverse activities, the resources exploitation and global changes pose new scientific and technological challenges, requiring appropriate management tools and multidisciplinary training at various levels of education.
The Marine and Coastal Management course is organized based on four themes of scientific and technological training that are essential for the integrated marine and coastal management:
- Marine and coastal processes;
- Techniques for data acquisition and processing;
- Sustainable exploitation of resources;
- The Man and the sea.
The course lasts 3 academic years, equivalent to 180 European Credits Transfer System (ECTS) and provides training similar to other European universities. The Internationalization will be promoted through partnerships with foreign institutions and students will be encouraged to apply for mobility grants.
The course of Marine and Coastal Management identifies the sea as a key-entity in climate regulation, host of high biodiversity and simultaneously generating wealth, culture and welfare.
Accordingly, in this course special attention will be given to enable graduates to maintain and achieve a sustainable management in marine and coastal areas.
Graduates will be able to intervene and collaborate in:
- Developing suitable technologies for monitoring the sea and the littoral;
- Definition of policies to the integrated management of the sea and coastal areas;
- Sustainable exploitation and use of marine and coastal resources;
- Preservation and enhancement of natural, historical, cultural and social patrimony related to the ocean and coastal areas.
The economic future of Europe is strongly related with knowledge, planning and sustainable use of marine and coastal resources. This was the key-reason that led, in September 2015, the Senate of the University approving unanimously the creation of the Marine and Coastal Management course.
The course was accredited by the Assessment and Accreditation Agency for Higher Education (A3ES) on 04.01.2016 and later on registered by the General Directorate of Higher Education of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher education with the number R / a-CR 42/2016.